Packing and Moving Tips
To prepare for packing, make sure you have all the necessary tools available:
- Permanent marker pens
- Bubble wrap
- Tissue/White paper
- Packing tape
- Fragile stickers
- Mark owner packed cartons clearly in order to easily identify at your new home especially linen for the beds and curtains.
- Start packing room by room
- Use a number system
- Pack unnecessary items ahead of time
- Keep essentials items for the last day before the move
- Keep a variety of size cartons on hand
- Larger cartons are best used for light items eg Tupperware and linen
- Small cartons are used for crockery, glassware, books
- Protect fragile items with bubble wrap
- Never overpack your cartons
- Mark fragile cartons clearly and point this to your mover’s supervisor
- Keep a ‘VALUABLES’ carton and ‘MOVING DAY’ carton (sometimes 2) The ‘VALUABLES’ CARTONS can be used to pack valuables such as photos, family heirlooms, jewelry and official documents eg birth certificates, passports and id documents. Keep this carton with you at all times.
The ‘MOVING’ carton should included items such as essential toiletries, towels, headache tables, water, a few items of crockery and cutlery, kettle, wipes, snacks, coffee/tea, toothpaste and brushes, flashlight.
- Remember: A good rule of thumb is, if you can’t lift the cartons easily, it’s too heavy.
Thorough planning is the key to an easy move! With so many decisions to make, this removal tips will help you get organized and hopefully stay organized! Planning of a move normally takes about 8-10 weeks, so start early.
- Call for quotations from professional movers
- Book your removal date as soon as possible
- Decide what to sell, donate or replace
- Obtain copies of medical, dental, legal, accounting and veterinarian records especially if moving long distance.
- Make arrangements for record transfers between schools
- Arrange for your address to be changed at the bank, post office, motor license department, hire purchase suppliers, short & life insurance companies, schools, churches, shop accounts, Mnet and any subscriptions.
- Your deepfreeze and fridge needs to be defrosted in time for a long distance removal
- Stabilize the drum of your washing machine with its brackets
- Arrange well in advance for the disconnection of your stove, taking off shelves, dismantling of any furniture, doors etc
- Drain fuel from heaters, tanks, lawnmover and motorbike
- Let out gas in gas bottles – transport your own paint and flammable items
- Water your plants a few days before the removal.
- Tighten the lids of jars and bottles before packing (and clingwrap if you can)
- If applicable, ensure your Liability Cover fee is paid before your move
- If Core is not doing your packing, make sure everything is packed and ready for the day of your removal.
- Ensure that all keys in cabinets are kept with you – Core do not take responsibility for lost keys.
- Kindly ensure that your account is fully settled before we load your goods. Make provision for extra costs should you require additional packing of special wrapping of furniture.
- Confirm final dates & times with our operations department.
Make Core your best move ever!